Wednesday, June 26, 2013

A means to an end

While sitting, yet again, in traffic on 270 this past Sunday afternoon I was struck with an epiphany- I like car traveling the same way as I like being pregnant.

Let me explain.

My pregnancy with Molly was not riddled with problems or scares. It was relatively easy and I'm thankful for the ease but I didn't love it. I know there are women who glow and adore growing the bulging bump. For me, I wondered at the miracle growing in my body while also wishing the parasite (yes, I am a horrible mother for saying that) would allow me to have a beer with dinner or buckle my sandals. So I didn't love pregnancy but I knew I would love what was growing- Molly.

Now for traveling...This past weekend Wyatt, my sister Julia, Molly and I set out to meet up with the rest of my immediate family at a sweet campground in Pennsylvania (shout out to Shenango RV Park). The 6+ hour trip really stretched Molly's previous car rides of 30 minutes. The outbound trip was trying. There was traffic, there were tears and screams, Google maps guides us in the wrong direction, blah, blah, blah. In the end we arrived and had 3 wonderful days surrounded by family (see pictures below). Looming in the very near future was the trip back. The trip back was a different story for Molly. She slept most of the car ride- yeah!! However the traffic was horrible. So as I sat in the backseat thankful for a sleeping baby while Wyatt so patiently navigated the bumper to bumper traffic two thoughts spun through my head:
  1. Why don't they widen these darn roads from 2 lanes to 4 lanes?
  2. My epiphany- I enjoy traveling in a car the same way I enjoyed pregnancy. The journey isn't much fun but it is the mean to an EXCELLENT end.
I explain this knowing that I will travel many, many miles to thoroughly enjoy the vacation at the end of the journey and, who knows, may even endure another 10 months of pregnancy for a Molly sibling.

For me the end is so much sweeter when there is a bit of uncomfortableness in the journey.

As promised here are some photos from the weekend. Enjoy....





 

2 comments:

Wine and Couture said...

I so get what you are saying! Plus I have to say I am glad to hear someone say the truth about being pregnant! It's not all glow and perfection, what comes in the end though can be!

the feelfus family said...

Lee,
Love your words around glow and perfection! Thanks for reading the blog. I check your blog often!

jeanette