Friday, August 2, 2013

Diary of a Stay-At-Home Dad

Jeanette went back to work on Monday, which meant Molly and I got to hang out all week.  I'll be home with her for 6 weeks until my new job starts in September. 

So, what does a stay-at-home dad do all day?  I'm glad you asked.  Here are some highlights from the past week, reconfigured into a typical day.  And yes, if you're wondering, these are all things that happened this past week.  For convenience I've left out a lot of eating, sleeping, pooping and staring at mobiles. 

9 am:  I sing Molly a medley of a bunch of James Bond theme songs, culminating with her providing some key background vocals on "Nobody Does It Better" and joining me for the full duet on "Goldfinger".  She already has good taste in Bond songs!

11 am:  It's not too hot, so I strap Molly into the ergo and take a walk to the library.  Here we are ready to go.


We have a nice walk.  Also, women seem to go out of their way to be very nice to me.

2 pm:  Molly and I watch Antiques Roadshow.  She seems very interested in a stunning Rockwell Kent painting of a Greenland landscape.  We decide that when she gets $150K she can buy it.

4 pm:  It's time for some interactive play, so Molly and I do a dramatic reading from Shakespeare's Julius Caesar (which I've been reading).  In light of her dramatic range, I offer her the part of Brutus.  Here's a scene from Act 5, with me taking the parts of Antony and Octavius:

ANTONY
Make forth; the generals would have some words.

OCTAVIUS
Stir not until the signal.

BRUTUS
Ooooh, ooooh,  uuuuuuuhhhhh.


OCTAVIUS
Not that we love words better, as you do.

BRUTUS
Aaaaaaahhhhhh.  Oooooooooh.  aaaoooouuuuhhhh.

ANTONY
In your bad strokes, Brutus, you give good words:
Witness the hole you made in Caesar's heart,
Crying 'Long live! hail, Caesar!'


5 pm:  Jeanette gets home.  My work here is done for awhile.  It should be an interesting 6 weeks!
 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wish you guys were closer to us - you and Alexis could tool around with all three girls and make all the nannies and stay-at-home moms go all weak in the knees.

Laura Jane Roland said...

This is brilliant. Totally signing up for the ride. Keep it up!