Monday, May 20, 2013

Pumping Rally...

So it has been almost a week since life has changed forever. The first two days were trying. Those hormones are no joke. I was emotional waking up and seeing a little creature beside me- shit, I'm a mom. I was even more emotional when on the second day of Molly's life, she was attached to me like a bee on honey for more than 12 hours. At the time I thought... "great, she's getting what she needs and because she's a bit of a chunckster she needs alot." After a day of sucking, latching and then screaming like Wyatt and I imagine the sounds of a swooping pterodactyl we were at our wits end trying to figure out how to soothe our growing babe.

Yet she wasn't growing. In fact, she continued to loose weight and she was angry about it.

What struck as heartbreak at first has blossomed into a blessing.

When we were told she was not getting food our nurse sensitively and kindly introduced the idea of pumping. Reluctantly, due to pride or hormones or all the above I agreed to pump with the hope of feeding baby girl. Tears ran down my cheeks as I internalize my lack of ability to feed this little human but....

I pumped and drops came.

I pumped again 3 hours later and a few drops dripped. Again and bit more. Fast forward five days and the knowledge from the pediatrician that Molly has a "tight tongue", I'm happy to report the situation is much better than the second day.  I'm pumping and pumping enough to feed my milk to her but through a bottle. A bottle that is held my her adoring father, excited aunt Jacki and all the other visitors yearning to connect and nourish her little being body and soul.

For me it's the best of both worlds. I get a little me time when I pump (I'm actually writing this blog and pumping) and others who love her get to connect with her as she drink her sweet milk gold. It's working for us!

And being familiar with the milking process (what, what dairy farm upbringing), I have to smile a bit every time I'm hooked up to my milker. :)

from a mother for a almost a whole week,
jeanette

Oh here's another photo of Miss Molly hanging out with Aunt Jacki! She kinda looks like a crazy bag lady and we love it!

(be sure to check out more pictures by clicking the link to the right titled- Check 'em out!)

1 comment:

Wine and Couture said...

So sad to hear there were feeding issues but glad you were able to get things worked out and she is able to get breast milk even if from a bottle. Thanks for blogging so we can follow her growth!